Monday, August 20, 2012

Last Respite Weekend

So we had a semi-busy weekend. We promised the 3 older boys that they could go to The Funplex (a recreation facility with some rides like bumper cars & Tilt-a-whirl, arcade, pools, splash pads, laser tag, etc) on Friday afternoon. The little boys go to their dad's house Friday evenings and spend the night & that place isn't really their scene so it was perfect. Well, perfect for everyone but the adults. We didn't feel comfortable leaving the boys there alone while we went out and ran errands and/or got dinner (you never know what could go wrong, plus we knew they wouldn't stay together, which they didn't). So we sat at a little table by the pool area armed with computers (wifi didn't work outside), phones and books. It was a long 5.5 hours and I don't think my butt has recovered. On a happy note, I did get to have fried mac & cheese bites & a quesadilla for dinner so that was fun - if only that place served beer!

Saturday everyone slept in and ML & BJ went to a birthday party for a neighborhood kid that afternoon. The 2 bigger boys went to the pool & then we had a BBQ with my mom, brother, sisters, niece, soon-to-be bro-in-law and ML & JC's dad. That was fun and the food was awesome (if I do say so myself).

Sunday was supposed to be a lazy day at the pool because (for the first time ever)we really had no obligations. Of course, it was the coolest day of the summer so far. But, we headed to the pool like champs and all of the boys had a good time. Then we got ice cream - BEFORE dinner - because we are wild like that. The big boys played basketball when we got home - which has been their obsession for the last 3 days - where was the obsession for the first 2 weeks they were here - and we ordered dinner (pizza). We folded all of the laundry in the house and packed up our two respite boys, organized all of their stuff (how do they acquire so much stuff over 2 weeks?) then settled them down for a movie.

BBQ Basketball
They left this morning and I was a bit more sad than I thought I'd be (it was a hard couple of weeks). But, I know they are fine, their foster mom really seems to like them, plus, we signed them up for football one town over from us where BJ plays, so we are hoping their foster mom lets them play and then we'll see them at least 4 evenings a week.

In other news, their caseworker is a raging meanie (I would like to say something much harsher, but I won't).  I think she is mad at us for calling her supervisor, but hey - she was doing a poor job, not us.  She came in, didn't say anything, no hellos, how are you, etc - not even to the boys.  I said, "Do you have something for me to sign?" She handed me some papers and said, "yeah." I said, "ok, where do I sign." She said, "Somewhere down there, I guess."  Oh, you don't know?  You've never done this before?  Yeesh.  I signed, got the boy's birth certificates (for football, we are signing them up and paying for it) and they headed out the door.  That was it, she never spoke another word to me.  Guess whose supervisor is getting another phone call! 

No comments:

Post a Comment