Saturday, September 22, 2012

A red dogwood

We have a dogwood tree outside of our kitchen window that turns a bright red early in the Fall.   It's a  really big dogwood tree for a dogwood and it feels special to me because the dogwood is the Virginia state tree.  It's like a little bit of me in the yard.   It is already starting to turn red. 

Tonight when I was looking out the window at that tree, through the rain, I got the sense that,  one day, a lifetime away from now, when I am turning 72, I will look out this same window, at the same tree turning red on my birthday.  I will think about my life's work, and this will be it.  Fostering, gardening, teaching,  hopefully instilling a kind and loving spirit in others.  And it will have been enough.  It was like I was looking at my future and my past in the same moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment